Friday, July 3, 2015

Norway Post 9

Day 7

I headed south into Geirangerfjorden. Aside from the occasional gust, the weather was calm. Clouds passed in front of the sun intermittently.

Streams gushed off steep snowy peaks besides the water. They poured over cliffs and fell for such a long time that they almost entirely evaporated into mists before spreading over the rocks or sea below. Every nook and cranny of the tree patched rock faces was a conduit for the melting mountain top snow to find its way to the sea. The brutally tall peaks were alive with water. Their veins flowed with the stuff of life, and on every spot that some form of life could cling, something grew.

I passed four Dutch kayakers in fancy boats with top notch gear and we stopped and chatted for a bit. I would have loved to join them but they were headed in the opposite direction and I was expected in Geiranger. They're only paddling for three days, so I'll likely see them again on my way out of the fjord.
It was near one of the most breathtaking natural displays, where seven waterfalls fell from the same towering cliff into the sea, that I met two other paddlers in a tandem. They rented it for the afternoon from the place around the bend.

Good. The guy, who's name I couldn't remember, rented out kayaks in the fjord. Apparently he was the only one, my fellow paddlers informed me, so I'd paddle the short remaining distance in their company and be done. I was tired. It had been a long day and a long week.

The couple were Norwegians from Oslo on holiday. He was an engineer and worked with the country's hydro electric system. I had seen two station on the fjord so far. The system provides the country with most of its electricity, and with all the water falling off the mountains, it's no surprise.

We arrived at the dock. My host, whose name I still couldn't remember, told me that he'd have someone wait for me since he couldn't be there himself. However, the guy at the dock never heard of me and wasn't waiting for me. He suggested that I look for my friend at another kayak rental place in the main part of the village a kilometer on.

I looked around. I was tired and getting cold. My chafing hurt.

After I gave up on finding another kayak rental place, I got out and looked up my host's name on my phone. I then paddled the kilometer back to the first dock and asked if Rubio worked there.

He did. I was welcomed into Rubio's home and invited to shower. Rubio, a co manager with Mark at Geiranger Adventure was a wonderful host. Rubio and Mark are also exceptional kayakers and guides, and if you ever find yourself in Geiranger go for a paddle with them. You'll have a great time and be awed and inspired by this spectacular fjord.

No comments:

Post a Comment